GB 249 OK/39
- 1930 - 1985 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
1 folder and 1 poster
Name of creator
The Andersonian Naturalists’ Society was founded by students at Anderson’s College, Glasgow on 25 August 1885. Its object was to encourage the study of natural science in all its branches. Observation in the field was regarded as critical and a notable characteristic of the society was its successful excursion programme. From the beginning, photography was of great importance and the exhibition of photographs became a usual feature of meetings.
The first president of the Society was the Rev. Alexander S. Wilson.
In 1930, the Society amalgamated with the Microscopical Society of Glasgow and the Natural History Society of Glasgow to form the Glasgow and Andersonian Natural History and Microscopical Society. By 1958, it was known as the Andersonian Naturalists' of Glasgow. By 1985, it had reverted to the title Andersonian Naturalist's Society .
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Notices of meetings and lectures, 1934-1958; notice of annual dinner, 1959; letter relating to history of Society, 1938; reminiscences about Society in 'Annals of the Andersonain Naturalists' Society', 1936; William Rennie, 'Smatterings: a brief outline of the early struggles of the Glasgow geologists to establish themselves within the city, their meeting places and notes thereon', 1946; poster advertising exhibition to mark centenary of Society, 1985.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
No access restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Item level list available in reading room.