Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Andersonian Naturalists' Society
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
- Glasgow and Andersonian Natural History and Microscopical Society
- Andersonian Naturalists of Glasgow
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Andersonian Naturalists’ Society was founded by students at Anderson’s College, Glasgow on 25 August 1885. Its object was to encourage the study of natural science in all its branches. Observation in the field was regarded as critical and a notable characteristic of the society was its successful excursion programme. From the beginning, photography was of great importance and the exhibition of photographs became a usual feature of meetings.
The first president of the Society was the Rev. Alexander S. Wilson.
In 1930, the Society amalgamated with the Microscopical Society of Glasgow and the Natural History Society of Glasgow to form the Glasgow and Andersonian Natural History and Microscopical Society. By 1958, it was known as the Andersonian Naturalists' of Glasgow. By 1985, it had reverted to the title Andersonian Naturalist's Society .
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Identifier of the related entity
Category of the relationship
Dates of the relationship
Description of relationship
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
ISAAR(CPF): International Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons and Families, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2003); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created by Rachel Pike, March 2012. More detail added to History by Victoria Peters, September 2020.