Collectie SC Young - Young Collection

Identificatie

referentie code

GB 249 SC Young

Titel

Young Collection

Datum(s)

  • 1447-1862 (Vervaardig)

Beschrijvingsniveau

Collectie

Omvang en medium

58 metres
Books

Context

Naam van de archiefvormer

(1811-1883)

Biografie

James Young was born in Glasgow in 1811. He attended Professor Thomas Graham's chemistry lectures at Anderson's University in 1830, became Graham's assistant in 1832 and followed him to University College, London in 1837. He became manager of the chemical works of James Muspratt, St Helens, Lancashire in 1838, and moved to Tennants, Clow & Co of Ardwick, Manchester in 1844. In 1848, Young established an oil refinery at Alfreton, Derbyshire with James Oakes, and in 1850 he was granted a 14 year patent for a process to extract oil from cannel coal. He subsequently entered into partnership with Edward Binney and Edward Meldrum for the manufacture of oils from Boghead cannel coal at Bathgate, West Lothian, and began the sale of paraffin. Young embarked on considerable litigation against other companies who had attempted to infringe his patent. In 1865, Young bought out his business partners and a year later established Young's Paraffin Light and Mineral Oil Company, with new works at Addiewell, Bathgate. He also patented other industrial processes.

James Young was elected Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh in 1861 and of the Royal Society in 1873. From 1868-1877 he was President of Anderson's University, and a great benefactor to the University. He founded the Young Chair of Technical Chemistry in 1869. He was a lifelong friend of David Livingstone, who had been a medical student at Anderson's University in the 1830s, and funded Livingstone's African expeditions. He was a keen yachtsman and made long voyages with family and friends on his yacht, 'Nyanza'. Young continued his scientific experiments in retirement, notably on the velocity of light, with Professor George Forbes of Anderson's University. In 1879, Young was awarded the degree of LLD of St Andrews University.

Geschiedenis van het archief

The collection was bequeathed to Anderson's College by James "Paraffin" Young (1811-1883) to support the research of the Young Chair of Technical Chemistry.

Directe bron van verwerving of overbrenging

Inhoud en structuur

Bereik en inhoud

Collection of books and manuscripts on alchemy and early science dating from the 15th to the 19th centuries. Mainly German and Latin texts, the collection includes one incunabulum dating from 1495 and one manuscript dated 1447.

Waardering, vernietiging en slectie

Aanvullingen

Ordeningstelsel

The collection is arranged by author in alphabetical order as listed in John Ferguson's bibliography of the collection 'Bibliotheca Chemica' (Glasgow, 1906).

Voorwaarden voor toegang en gebruik

Voorwaarden voor raadpleging

No access restrictions.

Voorwaarden voor reproductie

Taal van het materiaal

Schrift van het materiaal

Taal en schrift aantekeningen

Fysieke eigenschappen en technische eisen

Toegangen

All the books in this collection are catalogued on SUPrimo the University of Strathclyde Library's integrated search service.

Search "MLSPYO" to find a full list of titles in the Young collection

Verwante materialen

Bestaan en verblifplaats van originelen

Bestaan en verblijfplaats van kopieën

Related units of description

Aantekeningen

Alternative identifier(s)

Trefwoorden

Onderwerp trefwoord

Geografische trefwoorden

Naam ontsluitingsterm

Genre access points

Identificatie van de beschrijving

Identificatiecode van de instelling

Taal (talen)

Schrift(en)

Bronnen

Voorwaarden voor raadpleging en gebruik

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places