University of Strathclyde | Department of Mineral Resources Engineering

Zona de identificação

tipo de entidade

Entidade coletiva

Forma autorizada do nome

University of Strathclyde | Department of Mineral Resources Engineering

Forma(s) paralela(s) de nome

Forma normalizada do nome de acordo com outras regras

Outra(s) forma(s) de nome

  • University of Strathclyde | Department of Mining and Petroleum Engineering (1980-1988)
  • University of Strathclyde | Department of Mining Engineering (1964-1980)
  • Royal College of Science and Technology, Glasgow | Department of Mining Engineering (1956-1964)
  • Royal Technical College, Glasgow | Department of Mining Engineering (1912-1956)
  • Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College | Department of Mining Engineering (1909-1912)

identificadores para entidades coletivas

área de descrição

Datas de existência

1909 - 1992

Histórico

The Department of Mineral Resources Engineering had its origins in 1859 with the establishment of the Glasgow School of Mines in Anderson's College (antecedent to Strathclyde University). The School was an independent institution governed by a separate committee; however, it was short lived and closed in 1864.

By the 1880s, classes in mining had resumed and day classes, leading to a Diploma in Mining, began in 1887 at the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College (antecedent to Strathclyde University). This was followed in 1909, with the creation of a Chair in Mining Engineering and the appointment of the first Professor of Mining.

In 1932, the Royal Technical College, Glasgow (successor to the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College) and the University of Glasgow reached an agreement to amalgamate their two departments of mining and form a Joint Chair, with teaching and research centered at the College. This arrangement continued until 1967, when the agreement between the two insitutions was terminated by mutual consent.

Thereafter, the Department of Mining Engineering was renamed the Department of Mining and Petroleum Engineering in 1980, and was again renamed the Department of Mineral Resources Engineering in 1988. A world recession in the demand for energy and raw materials saw admissions decline and the Department was ultimately closed in 1992.

Locais

Estado Legal

funções, ocupações e atividades

Mandatos/Fontes de autoridade

Estruturas internas/genealogia

Contexto geral

Área de relacionamento

Entidade relacionada

University of Strathclyde (1964 to date)

Identificador da entidade relacionada

C0047

Categoria da relação

hierarchical

Datas da relação

Descrição da relação

Área de pontos de acesso

Pontos de acesso - Assuntos

Pontos de acesso - Locais

Ocupações

Zona do controlo

Identificador de autoridade arquivística de documentos

C0322

Identificador da instituição

GB 249

Regras ou convenções utilizadas

ISAAR(CPF): International Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons and Families, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2003); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Estatuto

Nível de detalhe

Datas de criação, revisão ou eliminação

Created by Kimberly Sommerville, October 2011.

Línguas e escritas

Script(s)

Fontes

The Royal College of Science and Technology, Glasgow: Mechanical, Civil, Chemical and Mining Engineering Block (Wilson Guthrie & Co. Ltd, Glasgow).

Focus on Mining Engineering: A residential course arranged by the University of Strathclyde and the National Coal Board, 19 June - 24 June 1977 (N.C.B. Scottish Area).

Notas de manutenção

  • Área de transferência

  • Exportar

  • EAC

Assuntos relacionados

Locais relacionados