University of Strathclyde | Department of Mineral Resources Engineering

Zone d'identification

Type d'entité

Collectivité

Forme autorisée du nom

University of Strathclyde | Department of Mineral Resources Engineering

forme(s) parallèle(s) du nom

Forme(s) du nom normalisée(s) selon d'autres conventions

Autre(s) forme(s) du nom

  • University of Strathclyde | Department of Mining and Petroleum Engineering (1980-1988)
  • University of Strathclyde | Department of Mining Engineering (1964-1980)
  • Royal College of Science and Technology, Glasgow | Department of Mining Engineering (1956-1964)
  • Royal Technical College, Glasgow | Department of Mining Engineering (1912-1956)
  • Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College | Department of Mining Engineering (1909-1912)

Numéro d'immatriculation des collectivités

Zone de description

Dates d’existence

1909 - 1992

Historique

The Department of Mineral Resources Engineering had its origins in 1859 with the establishment of the Glasgow School of Mines in Anderson's College (antecedent to Strathclyde University). The School was an independent institution governed by a separate committee; however, it was short lived and closed in 1864.

By the 1880s, classes in mining had resumed and day classes, leading to a Diploma in Mining, began in 1887 at the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College (antecedent to Strathclyde University). This was followed in 1909, with the creation of a Chair in Mining Engineering and the appointment of the first Professor of Mining.

In 1932, the Royal Technical College, Glasgow (successor to the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College) and the University of Glasgow reached an agreement to amalgamate their two departments of mining and form a Joint Chair, with teaching and research centered at the College. This arrangement continued until 1967, when the agreement between the two insitutions was terminated by mutual consent.

Thereafter, the Department of Mining Engineering was renamed the Department of Mining and Petroleum Engineering in 1980, and was again renamed the Department of Mineral Resources Engineering in 1988. A world recession in the demand for energy and raw materials saw admissions decline and the Department was ultimately closed in 1992.

Lieux

Statut légal

Fonctions et activités

Textes de référence

Organisation interne/Généalogie

Contexte général

Zone des relations

Entité associée

University of Strathclyde (1964 to date)

Identifiant de l'entité associée

C0047

Type de la relation

hierarchical

Dates de la relation

Description de la relation

Zone des points d'accès

Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Lieux

Occupations

Zone du contrôle

Identifiant de notice d'autorité

C0322

Identifiant du service d'archives

GB 249

Règles et/ou conventions utilisées

ISAAR(CPF): International Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons and Families, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2003); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Statut

Niveau de détail

Dates de production, de révision et de suppression

Created by Kimberly Sommerville, October 2011.

Langue(s)

Écriture(s)

Sources

The Royal College of Science and Technology, Glasgow: Mechanical, Civil, Chemical and Mining Engineering Block (Wilson Guthrie & Co. Ltd, Glasgow).

Focus on Mining Engineering: A residential course arranged by the University of Strathclyde and the National Coal Board, 19 June - 24 June 1977 (N.C.B. Scottish Area).

Notes de maintenance

  • Presse-papier

  • Exporter

  • EAC

Sujets associés

Lieux associés