University of Strathclyde | Department of Mineral Resources Engineering

Área de identidad

Tipo de entidad

Entidade coletiva

Forma autorizada del nombre

University of Strathclyde | Department of Mineral Resources Engineering

Forma(s) paralela(s) de nombre

Forma(s) normalizada del nombre, de acuerdo a otras reglas

Otra(s) forma(s) de nombre

  • University of Strathclyde | Department of Mining and Petroleum Engineering (1980-1988)
  • University of Strathclyde | Department of Mining Engineering (1964-1980)
  • Royal College of Science and Technology, Glasgow | Department of Mining Engineering (1956-1964)
  • Royal Technical College, Glasgow | Department of Mining Engineering (1912-1956)
  • Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College | Department of Mining Engineering (1909-1912)

Identificadores para instituciones

Área de descripción

Fechas de existencia

1909 - 1992

Historia

The Department of Mineral Resources Engineering had its origins in 1859 with the establishment of the Glasgow School of Mines in Anderson's College (antecedent to Strathclyde University). The School was an independent institution governed by a separate committee; however, it was short lived and closed in 1864.

By the 1880s, classes in mining had resumed and day classes, leading to a Diploma in Mining, began in 1887 at the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College (antecedent to Strathclyde University). This was followed in 1909, with the creation of a Chair in Mining Engineering and the appointment of the first Professor of Mining.

In 1932, the Royal Technical College, Glasgow (successor to the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College) and the University of Glasgow reached an agreement to amalgamate their two departments of mining and form a Joint Chair, with teaching and research centered at the College. This arrangement continued until 1967, when the agreement between the two insitutions was terminated by mutual consent.

Thereafter, the Department of Mining Engineering was renamed the Department of Mining and Petroleum Engineering in 1980, and was again renamed the Department of Mineral Resources Engineering in 1988. A world recession in the demand for energy and raw materials saw admissions decline and the Department was ultimately closed in 1992.

Lugares

Estatuto jurídico

Funciones, ocupaciones y actividades

Mandatos/fuentes de autoridad

Estructura/genealogía interna

Contexto general

Área de relaciones

Entidad relacionada

University of Strathclyde (1964 to date)

Identificador de la entidad relacionada

C0047

Categoría de la relación

hierarchical

Fechas de la relación

Descripción de la relación

Área de puntos de acceso

Puntos de acceso por materia

Puntos de acceso por lugar

Occupations

Área de control

Identificador de registro de autoridad

C0322

Identificador de la institución

GB 249

Reglas y/o convenciones usadas

ISAAR(CPF): International Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons and Families, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2003); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Estado de elaboración

Nivel de detalle

Fechas de creación, revisión o eliminación

Created by Kimberly Sommerville, October 2011.

Idioma(s)

Escritura(s)

Fuentes

The Royal College of Science and Technology, Glasgow: Mechanical, Civil, Chemical and Mining Engineering Block (Wilson Guthrie & Co. Ltd, Glasgow).

Focus on Mining Engineering: A residential course arranged by the University of Strathclyde and the National Coal Board, 19 June - 24 June 1977 (N.C.B. Scottish Area).

Notas de mantención

  • Portapapeles

  • Exportar

  • EAC

Materias relacionadas

Lugares relacionados