- c. 1874 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Founded under the will of John Anderson (1726-1796), Professor of Natural Philosophy in the University of Glasgow, Anderson's (or the Andersonian) Institution was established in 1796. The intention was to establish four faculties, of Arts, Medicine, Law and Theology, though Law and Theology were never founded. Courses in chemistry, natural philosophy, mathematics and other scientific subjects, together with English, rhetoric, music and art were offered. In keeping with John Anderson's views, classes were offered for the mechanics of the city. Among the early professors were eminent men such as Thomas Garnett, George Birkbeck and Thomas Graham. In 1828 the institution changed its name to Anderson's University and in 1877 it changed again to Anderson's College, as it lacked a royal warrant to function as a university.
An important part of the institution (founded in 1799) was Anderson's Medical School, of which David Livingstone was perhaps the most famous alumnus. In 1887, the Medical School became an independent institution, and it eventually merged with the University of Glasgow Medical Faculty in 1947.
Anderson's College merged with other institutions in 1887 to become the main component in the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College.
Name of creator
George Forbes was born in Edinburgh in 1849, the younger son of James David Forbes (later Principal of St Andrews University) and his wife, Alicia. Forbes was educated at Edinburgh Academy, and St Andrews and Cambridge universities, and graduated BA in 1871. From 1872 to 1880 he was Professor of Natural Philosophy at Anderson's University, where he collaborated with James Young on research into the velocity of light. He took a keen interest in astronomy, and led the British expedition to Hawaii in 1874 to observe the transit of Venus, returning to Scotland via Beijing and St Petersburg. Through contacts made during this journey, Forbes returned as a war correspondent with the Russian Army during the Russo-Turkish War of 1877-1878, reporting for 'The Times'. In the 1880s and 1890s, Forbes worked extensively on electrical power engineering and advocated the use of carbon brushes in electric motors rather than the wire or gauze which were then employed. From 1891 to 1895 Forbes was Consulting Engineer on the Niagara Falls hydroelectric scheme and advised on other schemes in India, South Africa, New Zealand and Upper Egypt. In the early 20th century Forbes became interested in military engineering and developed rangefinders and methods of signalling for submarines. He also returned to his early love of astronomy and delivered the David Elder Lectures on Astronomy at the Royal Technical College, Glasgow, the successor to Anderson's University. Forbes published extensively, received many honours and was a member of many distinguished learned societies worldwide. He was elected Fellow of the Royal Society in 1887. In later life he lived modestly in his 'Shed' at Pitlochry, overlooking the hydroelectric dam at Loch Faskally.