- 1912 - 1958 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
3 plans + 1 bundle
Name of creator
The School of Navigation was established in 1910 to provide seamen with the technical knowledge necessary to advance their career prospects. Its qualifications were recognised by the Board of Trade. The School was well equipped with different models and apparatus for imparting the principles of seamanship, navigation and nautical astronomy including an observatory complete with telescope, a mock navigation bridge, known as the Land-Ship, on the roof of the School, and four boats on the River Clyde which were used for practical training. In 1912, a steamer, the Vivid, was purchased as a training ship but it was wrecked in 1913 off Colonsay on its very first voyage after the purchase.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Plans of S.Y. Vivid, 1912-1913; course handouts, examination papers and related material, 1958.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material