Collection T-MIN/11 - Ross Priory memorabilia

Identity area

Reference code

GB 249 T-MIN/11

Title

Ross Priory memorabilia

Date(s)

  • 1751 - 1978 (Creation)

Level of description

Collection

Extent and medium

0.1 metres

Context area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The estate of Ross Priory on the shores of Loch Lomond was owned by the Leith Buchanan Family for many years. The present house of Ross Priory (a fine example of Gothic architecture) was designed in 1810 by James Gillespie.

In 1925, the estate was leased by Major George Christie, a businessman with interests in the local textile industry. Christie purchased the estate in 1949 and lived there until 1969. He was responsible for designing the informal garden and collecting plants on trips to the Himalayas.

In 1972, the estate was purchased by the University of Strathclyde.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Photographs of India c. 1912 taken by S.H. Christie, probably a relative of Major George Christie, owner of Ross Priory; garden notebooks; published articles and press cuttings about Ross Priory.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Open

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Item level list available in reading room.

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places