The estate of Ross Priory on the shores of Loch Lomond was owned by the Leith Buchanan Family for many years. The present house of Ross Priory (a fine example of Gothic architecture) was designed in 1810 by James Gillespie.
In 1925, the estate was leased by Major George Christie, a businessman with interests in the local textile industry. Christie purchased the estate in 1949 and lived there until 1969. He was responsible for designing the informal garden and collecting plants on trips to the Himalayas.
In 1972, the estate was purchased by the University of Strathclyde.