Colección SC Jordanhill - Jordanhill collection

Área de identidad

Código de referencia

GB 249 SC Jordanhill

Título

Jordanhill collection

Fecha(s)

  • 1672-1980 (Criação)

Nivel de descripción

Colección

Volumen y soporte

7 metres
Books

Área de contexto

Nombre del productor

(1907-1993)

Historia administrativa

Jordanhill College of Education had its origin in the transfer of the responsibility for teacher education from church to state. Under the Education (Scotland) Act 1872 the control of schools in Scotland passed from heritors and kirk sessions to local school boards, but the churches continued to be responsible for teacher training colleges. By the early 20th century, however, this was an increasing financial burden for religious bodies and there was a need to increase student numbers to train teachers for secondary schools. Negotiations began to transfer the training colleges to secular control. Four provincial committees were formed in January 1905 based on the notional provinces served by the four ancient Scottish universities. These provincial committees were reconstituted in 1920 under the control of a National Committee for the Training of Teachers, acting through a Central Executive Committee. The Glasgow Provincial Committee for the Training of Teachers took over the Church of Scotland and United Free Church Training Colleges in 1907 and at first operated the combined college, the Glasgow Provincial Training College, on two sites at Dundas Vale and Stow.

The committee was keen to find a new site for the college and the choice fell on the estate of Jordanhill, the property of Sir James Parker Smith, MP. The sale was concluded in 1911 and work began on the training college building, a student hostel and a demonstration school. The move to the Jordanhill site took place in 1921 and the college was known as Jordanhill Training College from that date. The Glasgow Provincial Committee and the Central Executive Committee continued to administer the college until 1959 when under revised teacher training regulations, Jordanhill was constituted an independent college of education under its own board of governors.

In the post war era, student numbers increased dramatically, reaching a high point of 3500 full-time students in the early 1970s and later stabilising at around 2600 FTE (2000 FT). There was enormous pressure on accommodation and, between 1958 and 1973, new buildings were erected for technical education, science and physical education, and the Crawfurd and Wood buildings provided more generous general teaching accommodation, a theatre and a new, spacious library.

In 1981, the college merged with Hamilton College of Education. Later, in 1993, it merged with Strathclyde University, becoming the University's Faculty of Education.

Historia archivística

Origen del ingreso o transferencia

The books were transferred to Archives and Special Collections when the Jordanhill campus of the University of Strathclyde was vacated in 2012.

Área de contenido y estructura

Alcance y contenido

Collection of rare books and material that had previously been part of the working collection of Jordanhill’s antecedent institutions: Glasgow Provincial Training College (1907-1959), Glasgow Church of Scotland Training College (1845-1907) or Glasgow Free Church Training College (1845-1907).

It contains mainly 19th and 20th century materials for primary and secondary level education, including: books covering tuition of reading, writing and arithmetic; children’s picture books; textbooks; other educational material; and reports on education in Scotland.

Valorización, destrucción y programación

Acumulaciones

Sistema de arreglo

Área de condiciones de acceso y uso

Condiciones de acceso

Open

Condiciones

Idioma del material

Escritura del material

Notas sobre las lenguas y escrituras

Características físicas y requisitos técnicos

Instrumentos de descripción

All the books in this collection are catalogued on SUPrimo the University of Strathclyde Library's integrated search service.

Search "MLSPJHILL" to find a full list of titles in the Jordanhill collection

Área de materiales relacionados

Existencia y localización de originales

Existencia y localización de copias

Unidades de descripción relacionadas

Some items in this collection may be listed in the library catalogue for the Glasgow Church of Scotland Training College, compiled c. 1880 [ref: GB 249 CSTC 6/1] or the copy of the library catalogue of the Glasgow Free Church Training College, compiled c. 1907 [ref: GB 249 FCTC/7/1]

Área de notas

Identificador/es alternativo(os)

Puntos de acceso

Puntos de acceso por materia

Puntos de acceso por lugar

Puntos de acceso por autoridad

Tipo de puntos de acceso

Identificador de la descripción

Identificador de la institución

Idioma(s)

Escritura(s)

Fuentes

Área de Ingreso

Materias relacionadas

Personas y organizaciones relacionadas

Tipos relacionados

Lugares relacionados