GB 249 OM/244
- 1910 - c. 1974 (Production)
Niveau de description
Étendue matérielle et support
Zone du contexte
Nom du producteur
John Anderson Gilmour was the nephew of Mary and Margaret Gilmour, two of the "Glasgow Girls", who ran a successful art studio in Glasgow teaching women arts and crafts. Gilmour began his career in 1920 at William Anderson & Co Ltd, Glasgow, where he worked until 1929. While working, he also attended the Royal Technical College, Glasgow, 1924-1927, taking evening classes in textiles. In 1929, he joined Thomas Brown (Carlisle) Ltd as a textile designer, becoming factory manager in 1934. From 1938 to 1942, he set up the furnishing fabrics department at Whitworth & Mitchell Ltd, Manchester. This was followed by war service in the Royal Navy, 1942-1946. In 1946, he set up the furnishing fabrics department at J.H. Birtwistle & Co Ltd, Manchester. In 1949, he established his own business, John A. Gilmour & Co Ltd, at Troqueer Mills in Dumfries, producing furnishing fabrics mostly for the upholstery trade. In 1957, following a takeover of the company by his co-directors, he became manager of furnishing fabrics at Whitworth & Mitchell Ltd, Manchester. In 1959, he joined Bartons (Manchester) Ltd, where he was responsible for production and selling. In 1968, he became area organiser of charity fundraising for the National Society for Cancer Relief, London. He retired in 1974.
Source immédiate d'acquisition ou de transfert
Zone du contenu et de la structure
Portée et contenu
Curriculum vitae; family photograph; evening class certificates; weaving class notebooks; testimonial; press cutting about J.A. Gilmour & Co Ltd.
Évaluation, élimination et calendrier de conservation
Mode de classement
Zone des conditions d'accès et d'utilisation
Conditions de reproduction
Langue des documents