GB 249 JCE/22/5/16
- 1948 - c 1954 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
2 documents + 8 photographs (0.006 metres)
Name of creator
John Cross was educated at Dalziel High School in Motherwell, Lanarkshire. Influenced by his Physical Education teacher there, he applied to the Scottish School of Physical Education and Hygiene (SSPE) at Jordanhill College of Education, and was accepted for entry in October 1945. However, in the spring of that year, while still in his fifth year at school, he was called up for war service and spent two years in the Royal Navy from 10 September 1945. Following discharge, Cross returned to commence his professional training at the SSPE on 5 January 1948, completing the course on 15 December 1949. He was officially recognised as a qualified teacher of Physical Education from 1 January 1950. Cross was also a swimmer and water polo player with the Motherwell Amateur Swimming and Water Polo Club from 1939 until around 1951, winning the British Amateur Water Polo Championship with them in the early 1950s.
In the autumn of 1951, Cross travelled on his own initiative to Fresno State College in the United States of America for a year of further study. On returning to Scotland, he taught firstly at Airdrie High School then at Caldervale High School in Airdrie, where he became Head of Physical Education and latterly Assistant Head Teacher in charge of Guidance. He married a fellow teacher, Catherine MacLeod in 1960, and the couple had two children, Morag and Alan. Cross took early retirement from teaching in 1984, aged 55, and died in 1999.
These papers were retained by John Cross's family following his death in 1999. They were donated to the Archives by his daughter, Morag Cross, in 2018. Other papers relating to John Cross's swimming activities as a school pupil and his life in Motherwell have been donated to North Lanarkshire Archives.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Acc 1668 and 1674
Content and structure area
Scope and content
- Lecture notes for a Junior School Physical Training Lesson (typescript, 8 pages);
- List of gymnastic exercises comprising a 'P[hysical] T[raining] Competition' for a class of school children, with instuctions for pupil and teacher actions (typescript, 1 page);
- Three photographs of students of the Scottish School of Physical Education at Jordanhill College of Education, performing exercises in the gym, c 1949 (black and white: 133 x 84 mm, 85 x 55 mm and 91 x 55 mm). With original Kodak paper wallet from the Drug and Dispensing Department, Dalziel Co-operative Society Ltd., 34 Brandon Street, Motherwell, annotated 'J.M. Cross';
- Photograph of the Jordanhill Training College Rugby Football Club for session 1948-1949, mounted on card (black and white: 195 x 125 mm on 300 x 248 mm mount). A key of names is printed on the mount. John Cross is pictured in the back row, third from left. Photograph by Weir, Glasgow;
- Photograph of Scottish School of Physical Education students and staff in dress uniform, mounted on card (black and white: 25 x 150 mm on 298 x 247 mm mount). Taken in front of the David Stow Building on the Jordanhill Campus, c 1949. Photograph by Weir, Glasgow;
- Photograph of 15 members of the Jordanhill Training College Rugby Football Club and 2 members of staff, taken on a playing field, c 1954. John Cross is pictured in the back row, fourth from left. Annotated 'J. Cross' on the reverse. With partial key of names;
- Group photograph, possibly of students and staff of the Scottish School of Physical Education in the grounds at Jordanhill, c 1949 (black and white, 140 x 89 mm);
- Photograph of the Motherwell Amateur Swimming and Water Polo Club team with the British Amateur Water Polo Championship shield, taken in 1951 or 1952 (the team won the Championship in both years). John Cross is pictured in the back row, second from right. Key of names on reverse. Copyright: Action Photos by H.W. Neale, 95 Mallinson Road, Battersea, London (black and white, 215 x 165 mm).
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material