- copy of soft-bound conference programme, annotated, with list of participants
The meeting took place at the Royal Institute of British Architects and the National Federation of Building Trade Employers (NFBTE) Cavendish Conference Centre. Nancy Tait and two students on placement with SPAID (Eleni Michael and M Routhorn) attended.
Correspondence chiefly re British Lung Foundation's (BLF) Action Mesothelioma Day, 2006 and 2007. Includes invitation to the parliamentary reception. Also copy of the government petition 'Action mesothelioma charter', 2006.
Correspondence, notes, conference programm & papers.
Includes correspondence with Graham Allen MP (shadow minister for the environment/health and safety), copy of his speech, copies of questions asked about asbestos in the House of Commons 1995-1996.
Conference papers, originally comb-bound, and invitation for Nancy Tait to attend. It remains open whether she did so.
- Francis McCarthy (Pattison & Brewer): asbestos - an introduction
- Dr Robin Rudd (St Batholomew's Hospital): asbestos-related diseases
- Chris Bishop (Asbestos Removal Contractors Association (ARCA)): asbestos in the workplace
- Paul Meehan (Pattison & Brewer): control of asbestos regulations 2006
Conference book containing programme and presentations, 221 pp; Nancy Tait's handwritten notes, and letter confirming her free place at the meeting.
The stated aim of the conference was to enable participants to understand the complexities of assessing damages following the Social Security (Recovery of Benefits) Act 1997.
Cancer Research Campaign (CRC) conference to launch the work of CRC Committee on Cancer Education, 13 January 1982. Correspondence and papers relating to the conference. Includes a copy of CRC Great Picnic Souvenir spring magazine No. 3, 1981, with colour photographs of the queen.
Among those who attended was also E G Rushworth of the Cancer Prevention Society, Glasgow.
Correspondence and papers re the HSE conference on new legal duties to manage asbestos, arising from the 'Control of asbestos at work regulations' (CAWR) 2002. Includes list of delegates, slides of conference programme with Nancy Tait's annotations.
Correspondence and papers (including conference programme and list of participants) re BOHS ‘Fifth international symposium on inhaled particles’, Cardiff, 8-12 September 1980. Evidence that Nancy Tait attended or intended to do so is elsewhere in the archive.
- correspondence with legal scholar Richard Lewis, University College Cardiff, 21 July 1983, re his article ‘Compensation for occupational disease’
- correspondence arising from Nancy Tait’s interest in using illustrations of one of the conference papers (J C Wagner et al., ‘A pathological and mineralogical study of asbestos-related deaths in the United Kingdom in 1977’) for a SPAID note on the Kemp case. Arthur Leonard Kemp (d.1978 aged 69 of respiratory disease) had worked as a shipwright at H M Dockyard, Chatham, Kent 1937-1973; see Albert Henry Smith (executor of A L Kemp) v. MOD, 1981, High Court of Justice Queens Bench Division
- bulk of this file is a set of draft papers of the ten conference sessions
Two copies of the University's 'GAZETTE' magazine that belonged to Chaplain Rev J. Lochrie: Spring and Summer 1976 editions. There are two articles that relate to the chaplaincy within these editions:
-‘Plans Unfold for Chaplaincy Centre’, Spring 1976, pp5-7;
-‘Chaplaincy Centre Prospects’, Summer 1976, pp12-13.
Copy of brochure written by Carolynne Radcliffe, training consultant & welfare benefits advisor.
Copy of brochure written by Carolynne Radcliffe, welfare benefits advisor.
Correspondence re a display on asbestos in housing and available asbestos-alternatives, for SPAID's stand at the London International Fire Exhibition, Olympia, 9-13 April 1984.
Correspondence and papers re British Lung Foundation’s mesothelioma summit, 9 March 2005.
- conference programme, speaker information
- copies of slides,
- Nancy Tait's notes
- leaflets of support groups such as Sheffield and Rotherham Asbestos Group (SARAG) and copies of SARAG and RASAG newsletters
- copy of Greater Manchester Asbestos Victims Support Group (n.d.) 'Asbestos: legislative bars to benefits and compensation: a charter for reform of benefits legislation, with an introduction by Michael Clapham MP'
- copy of John Pickering & Partners (2004) 'Asbestos compensation'