- 1871-1911 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
In 1871, a Committee for Promoting Technical Education was formed in Glasgow, and as a result the Glasgow Technical College (Weaving Branch) was founded in 1877, the first of three projected branches. In 1896, it became a limited liability company, known as the Incorporated Weaving, Dyeing and Printing College of Glasgow and was eventually absorbed by the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College in 1908.
The Weaving College was located in Well Street in the Calton area of Glasgow, East of Glasgow Cross. Calton had been a centre of weaving since the 18th century and the Calton Weavers were among the first groups to demonstrate against falling prices and the decline of the textile industry in the latter years of the century.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Minutes of the Trustees (from 1896 Governors) and Committees 1871-1911; minutes of the Committee on Teaching 1896-1908; annual and other reports 1879/1880-1907/1908; financial records and insurance policies 1872-1908; papers on the establishment of the Weaving School 1876-1880; agreement and papers concerning classes on bleaching and dyeing at the Young Technical Chemistry Laboratory 1880-1882; secretary's correspondence 1898-1910; student records, examination papers and results 1899-1905; diplomas 1877, 1896; papers on staffing 1901-1907; buildings and estates records 1877-1906; syllabuses 1877/1878-1879/1880, 1895/1896-1896/1897; papers on the amalgamation with the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College 1902-1908; press cuttings 1898-1907; design book with samples, of James Allison, Paisley 1900.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Item level typed list available in reading room.