GB 249 OE/16
- 1903 - 1965 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
The Glasgow School of Architecture was founded in 1904 as a joint venture by the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College and Glasgow School of Art. Classes were taught by staff from both institutions, the School of Art concentrating on the aesthetics and the Technical College on the practical aspects of building design. Professor Eugene Bourdon was recruited as Director of Architectural Studies and Professor of Architectural Design. The School was administered by a Joint Committee of representatives from both colleges. The Joint Committee was dissolved in 1965, when the School of Art and the new University of Strathclyde set up their own separate courses.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Minutes and papers of the Joint Committee 1903-1964; financial records 1954-1963; student records 1905, 1908-1964; correspondence 1944-1964; calendars and prospectuses 1948/1949-1963/1964; press cuttings 1947-1965.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Most records are open. However, some student records are restricted in compliance with Data Protection legislation.
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Item level list available in reading room.