GB 249 GIS
Glasgow Infant School records
- 1828-1982 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
The Glasgow Infant School was opened by the Glasgow Infant School Society in 1828 as a model infant school. Initially, it was in the Drygate, Glasgow but removed to Saltmarket around 1831. The school was a charitable foundation, and visitors were encouraged to view the children at lessons and to donate funds for the upkeep of the school. David Caughie and his wife were trained as the first teachers. In 1834, the school was adopted as a model infant school by the Glasgow Educational Society, and moved to Dundas Vale when the Glasgow Normal Seminary opened in 1837.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Annual reports 1829 and 1830; visitors' book; Glasgow Infant School magazine; engraving; press cuttings and journal articles.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Item level typed list available in reading room.