GB 249 GNS/1
- 1834 - 1839 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
The Glasgow Educational Society was founded in 1834 at the instigation of J.C. Colquhoun, of Killermont, MP, with the aim of establishing a Normal Seminary for the training of teachers. David Stow and the Reverend George Lewis were joint secretaries. The Society adopted the Glasgow Infant School as its model infant school, and St John's Parochial School as its model junior school. It opened the Glasgow Normal Seminary in 1837.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Annual and other reports; constitution and regulations.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material