- 1676-1870 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
The Glasgow Dilettanti Society was formed in 1825 as a society for the improvement of the fine arts. Membership was restricted to painters, sculptors, architects, engravers and etchers, or men professing taste and critical knowledge in one or other of these branches. The society organised regular exhibitions and built up a library for the use of members. Many of the leading artists of the day corresponded with the society and entered their works for exhibition. Although the society had its own premises in Buchanan Street for a time, latterly it operated from Anderson's College buildings. The society came to an end in 1843.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
The books were originally from the library of the Glasgow Dilettanti Society.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Collection of works relating to the fine arts and art history dating from the 18th and 19th centuries. The collection includes exhibition and sale catalogues, biographies and critiques of artists, and texts on drawing, painting and sculpture.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
All the books in this collection are catalogued on SUPrimo the University of Strathclyde Library's integrated search service.