- 1921 - 2000s (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Geoffrey Tweedale was Professor of Business History at Manchester Metropolitan University Business School. He has a long-standing interest in the history of occupational health and has written studies on asbestos-related diseases, byssinosis, silicosis, and cancers in the chemical and cotton industries.
His publications relating specifically to the asbestos industry include:
- 'Magic mineral to killer dust: Turner & Newall and the asbestos hazard' (2nd edition, 2001: Oxford University Press)
- (with Laurie Flynn) 'Piercing the corporate veil: Cape Industries and multinational corporate liability for a toxic hazard, 1950-2004', 'Enterprise and society' 8 (2) (2007), 268-296, DOI: 10.1017/S1467222700005863
- (with Jock McCulloch) 'Defending the indefensible: the global asbestos industry and its fight for survival (2008: Oxford University Press)
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Donated by Geoffrey Tweedale in 2016.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Research papers of Geoffrey Tweedale gathered during the course of his research for his book 'Magic mineral to killer dust: Turner & Newall and the asbestos hazard' (2nd edition, 2001: Oxford University Press), which investigated the British company, Turner & Newall, one of the world's leading asbestos manufacturers.
The collection comprises:
- Copies of more or less complete run of Turner & Newall compensation cases, 1921-1990s (c. 700 files). The copies were made by Tweedale from microfilms of the Turner & Newall company archives made by Chase Manhattan Bank in 1991 as part of a court case initiated in the USA by the Bank against Turner & Newall. Tweedale made a special study of these case files.
- Series of subject files. The bulk of the contents is copies of correspondence and papers from the Turner & Newall archives. However, the series also contains material from other sources as well as Tweedale’s own notes and correspondence. Most of the material relates to Turner & Newall, but there is also material on other companies eg Johns Manville in the USA, Eternit, and Cape Asbestos as well as material on Canada, South Africa, and Australia. The series also includes biographical information on related people as well as press cuttings collected by Tweedale.
- A selection of videotapes and DVDs mostly relating to Turner & Newall plus several transcripts of TV/radio programmes, dating back to the 1970s and early 1980s.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Access to some records is restricted in compliance with the Data Protection Act 2018 and the General Data Protection Regulation. Please contact repository to request access.
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
This collection is not yet fully catalogued. A partial box list is available on request.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Place access points
Name access points
- Turner & Newall (Subject)