Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Frank Burnet & Boston, architects
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Frank Burnet (1846-1923) studied architecture at the Glasgow School of Art and worked for John Carrick, the City Master of Works in Glasgow, before setting up his own practice in 1878. In August 1889, Burnet took his assistant, William James Boston (1861-1937), into partnership. Following the deaths of Frank Burnet in 1923 and William James Boston in 1937, the business was continued by Burnet's son, Frank Russell Burnet (1891-1980), who trained at the Glasgow School of Architecture and served his apprenticeship in his father's firm. He subsequently took James Bell (1910-1967) into partnership, but the name of the business remained as Frank Burnet & Boston until 1961, when it changed to Frank Burnet, Bell & Partners. The practice was based at 80 Hope Street in Glasgow.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
ISAAR(CPF): International Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons and Families, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2003); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created by Anne Cameron, October 2019.
Dictionary of Scottish Architects, 1660-1980 (2016): http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=100237 (accessed 29 October 2019)