GB 249 OF/1
- 1862-2003 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
The Department of Physics originated in 1796 with the appointment at Anderson’s Institution (an antecedent of the University of Strathclyde) of the first Professor of Natural Philosophy. It was not until later, however, that a department formally came into existence. From at least 1899, there are references to the Department of Natural Philosophy. In 1968 the department split into the Department of Natural Philosophy (in 1983 renamed the Department of Physics) and the Department of Applied Physics. The two were reunited as the Department of Physics and Applied Physics in 1986. In 2002 the department was renamed the Department of Physics.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Records relating to the teaching of physics at the University of Strathclyde and the Royal College of Science and Technology, the Royal Technical College, the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College and Anderson's College (the antecedents of the University of Strathclyde).
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Open with the exception of some student records which are restricted in compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material