Series 1 - Cyclists' Touring Club

Identity area

Reference code

GB 249 T-CYC/1

Title

Cyclists' Touring Club

Date(s)

  • 1896 - 1898 (Creation)

Level of description

Series

Extent and medium

0.6 metres

Context area

Name of creator

(Founded 1878)

Administrative history

The first and oldest touring club in the world, the Cyclists' Touring Club was founded in 1878 by Stanley Cotterell as the Bicycle Touring Club and was renamed the Cyclists' Touring Club in 1883.

The Club was established to encourage and facilitate bicycle touring, with initiatives such as reduced rates at hotels and inns. The winged wheels badge, adopted in 1886, can still be seen in various pubs throughout the UK. Other services included organising rallies, producing guides and maps and publishing an official monthly Gazette for its members.

In 1977 the Cyclists' Touring Club was recognised as a charity and has since continued promoting cycling.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Agendas and reports of Council meetings, club prospectus and the Gazette, the official club magazine.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Open

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places