- 1863 - 2010 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
The Barony congregation of the Church of Scotland was in existence for several hundred years in Glasgow, in the neighbourhood of Glasgow Cathedral. When the old church building was deemed to be in a state of terminal disrepair, the congregation and their minister, the Reverend John Marshall Lang, raised funds for a new building. The new Barony Church, located on the opposite side of Cathedral Square, the site of the former Townhead Gas Works, was opened in 1889. In 1985, the final service was held in the church and the building was sold to the University of Strathclyde. After its restoration, for which the University was awarded international prizes, the building came into use as the University's Barony Hall, hosting graduations, examinations and functions. The Barony congregation dispersed in 1985.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Church magazines; plans; photographs; report and year book; pulpit bible; histories of the church; tercentenary grand bazaar programme and medal; orders of service; information on stained glass windows.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material