GB 249 OK/5
- 1888 - 1987 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
The Andersonian Chemical Society was founded in November 1886 as Anderson’s College Science Society. In 1887, the name was changed to the Andersonian Chemical Society. Its object was the promotion of interest in the study of chemistry. To this end, it organised regular papers and debates on scientific subjects.
It is believed the society is the longest running student chemical society in Great Britain.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Journal of the Society; syllabuses; membership cards; lecture tickets; lectures and addresses; dinner ticket and menus; Society rules, laws and bye-laws; membership lists; newspaper cuttings and article on Diamond Jubilee; Diamond Jubilee programme; programmes for technical meetings in Glasgow; programme of meetings of the Federation of Chemical Societies in Glasgow; centenary conference programme and registration form; centenary booklet; blank headed paper; fabric sample possibly for Society scarf; subscriptions; financial records; various books and booklets belonging to the Society.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Membership lists are restricted in compliance with Data Protection Act 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Item level list available in reading room.