- 1850-2003 (Vervaardig)
Omvang en medium
Naam van de archiefvormer
Allan Glen's Institution was founded in 1853 under the will of Allan Glen (1772-1850), wright in Glasgow, who made 'provision for giving gratuitously a good practical education to about 50 boys, sons of tradesmen or persons in the industrial classes in Glasgow'. The school was built on land owned by Glen at the corner of Cathedral Street and North Hanover Street.
It was incorporated by Act of Parliament in 1876 and concentrated increasingly on scientific and technical education. It was an important feeder school for Anderson's University, and a significant number of pupils won scholarships to Cambridge University and Imperial College, London. In 1887 Allan Glen's became part of the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College and in 1912 the school was transferred to the control of the School Board of Glasgow.
Geschiedenis van het archief
Directe bron van verwerving of overbrenging
Inhoud en structuur
Bereik en inhoud
Personal accounts and receipts relating to Allan Glen 1845-1848; will, plans and deeds 1850-1851; Acts of Parliament, Educational Endowments 1876, 1908, 1912; financial and legal papers relating to the amalgamation of the School with the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College 1886-1888; financial records 1876-1912; buildings report 1894; bursary and scholarship applicants 1853, 1911; applicants for teaching post 1853 and list of teachers 1912; correspondence with Scotch Education Department, circulars etc 1907-1912; reports by His Majesty's Inspectors of Schools 1911, 1912; correspondence concerning the transfer of the School to the School Board of Glasgow 1910-1912; School magazine 1934 and 150th anniversary newsletters; books and pamphlets on the history of the School 1953, 1972, 2003; book of remembrance 1939-1945; coat of arms 1939.
Waardering, vernietiging en slectie
Voorwaarden voor toegang en gebruik
Voorwaarden voor raadpleging
Voorwaarden voor reproductie
Taal van het materiaal