Showing 2010 results

names

Auld, Mary, 1893-1984, political activist

  • P0038
  • Person

Mary Auld was brought up in Lockerbie, Dumfriesshire, and moved to Glasgow during World War I. Her first husband was killed in action, leaving her to care for three young step children. In 1922, she married Jimmy Auld, and both became active members of the Cathcart Labour Party. For twelve years Mary was chairman of Glasgow Women's Advisory Council and served on the Executive of the Scottish Council of the Labour Party from 1932-1941, being chairman in 1937. She encouraged women to take an active role in the Labour Party and organised systematic canvassing, welfare and educational work. In this voluntary capacity she worked closely with Mary Sutherland, Women's Officer of the Scottish Labour Party during the 1920s and with her successor, Agnes Lauder, when Mary Sutherland moved to London as Chief Woman Officer of the Labour Party, a post which she held from 1932-1960. In mid 1940, Mary Auld was appointed Woman Organiser for Scotland after the death of Agnes Lauder, and filled this post with distinction until her retirement in 1958.

Carter, Sir Charles Frederick, 1919-2002, economist

  • P0023
  • Person
  • 1919-2002

The economist and government adviser, Sir Charles Carter, was born in Rugby in 1919. A Quaker and pacifist, Carter was a conscientious objector during World War II. He was educated at Rugby and graduated from St John's College, Cambridge in 1945 with a first in mathematics and economics. At Cambridge, he was a student of John Maynard Keynes.

Carter began his career as a lecturer in statistics at Cambridge from 1945 to 1951, then moved to Queen's University, Belfast, as Professor of Applied Economics from 1952 to 1959. In 1958, he assumed the Stanley Jevons Chair of Political Economy at Manchester University, before becoming the founding Vice-Chancellor of the University of Lancaster in 1963. Knighted in 1978, Sir Charles Carter was Chairman of the Northern Ireland Economic Council from 1977 to 1987 and Joint President of the Policy Studies Institute from 1991 to1997. His publications include works on economics, higher education and Northern Ireland.

Garnett, Thomas, 1766-1802, chemist and physician

  • P0035
  • Person
  • 1766-1802

Thomas Garnett was born at Casterton, near Kirkby Lonsdale in Westmorland. He attended the village school at Barbon and Sedbergh School before entering Edinburgh University in 1785 to study medicine, attending lectures by the eminent chemist, Professor Joseph Black. After graduating MD, Garnett set up practice as a physician in Bradford and later in Harrogate. In addition to his medical practice, Garnett gave lectures on natural philosophy and chemistry and published works on the medicinal properties of the spa waters in Yorkshire. In 1796, Garnett was appointed Professor of Natural Philosophy in the newly founded Anderson's Institution in Glasgow. There he resumed his medical practice and undertook a tour of the Highlands of Scotland in 1798, publishing his observations on this tour in 1800. As Anderson's Institution could offer only short term contracts, Garnett moved to London in December 1799 to become Professor of Natural Philosophy and Chemistry at the Royal Institution. This appointment was short lived and Garnett resigned in June 1801. He set up practice as a physician and was appointed Physician to St Marylebone Dispensary, where he contracted typhus fever and died in June 1802. His 'Popular Lectures on Zoonomia' were published posthumously for the benefit of his orphaned family.

Houston, George, 1743-1815, 4th Laird of Johnstone

  • P0024
  • Person
  • 1743-1815

George Houston became 4th Laird of Johnstone in 1757 at the age of 14. During his 58 years as Laird, George extended Johnstone Castle, developed the extensive coal mines at Quarrelton and opened lime works at Floor Craig. In 1781, George began to sell land for housing near the Bridge of Johnstone and to plan the layout of the new town of Johnstone. He became a wealthy industrialist and was a partner in establishing the Paisley Union Bank in 1788. In 1816, George was succeeded as 5th Laird by his son, Ludovick Houston.

Lambert, Verity Ann, 1935-2007, television producer

  • P0009
  • Person
  • 1935-2007

Verity Ann Lambert OBE was an internationally renowned television and film producer. Educated at Roedean and at the Sorbonne, Lambert, as the first producer of the television series ‘Doctor Who’ in 1963, became the BBC’s youngest, and only female, drama producer. After completing two series of Doctor Who, she moved on to produce the series ‘Adam Adamant’, ‘Detective’ and a series based on the short stories of Somerset Maugham, for which she received a BAFTA (British Academy of Film and Television Award) in 1969. Joining London Weekend Television the same year, she produced, amongst others, ‘Budgie’ and ‘Between the Wars’. In 1974, Lambert was appointed Controller of Drama at Thames Television, where she developed the highly acclaimed series ‘Rock Follies’, ‘Rumpole of the Bailey’, ‘Edward and Mrs Simpson’ and the International Emmy-winning television film ‘The Naked Civil Servant’. Two years later she moved to Euston Films, working as executive producer on television series including ‘Minder’, ‘Reilly - Ace of Spies’, and ‘Widows’, before being appointed Chief Executive of Euston Films in 1979. A move to Thorn EMI Screen Entertainment as Director of Production followed in 1982, where she was executive producer for a number of films including ‘Dreamchild’ and ‘Clockwise’. After setting up her own independent production company, ‘Cinema Verity Ltd’, in 1985, she went on to produce the film ‘A Cry in the Dark’, the television series ‘Jonathan Creek’ and ‘Love Soup’, and was executive producer on ‘GBH’, ‘May to December’ and ‘Eldorado’.

Lambert’s achievements were well recognised by both the television and business communities, and she received numerous international awards and marks of esteem throughout her career. In 1983, she was named the Veuve-Cliquot ‘Business Woman of the Year’, and Women’s Own magazine ‘Woman of Achievement’. In 1988, she was awarded the honorary degree of Doctor of Laws by the University of Strathclyde and in 1991, she received the Women in Film ‘Simon Olswang & Co. Business Award’. Appointed an OBE in 2002, she also received, in the same year, the BAFTA Alan Clarke Award for Outstanding Creative Contribution to Television. A recurring theme in her work was the role of women in society and it is fitting that in 2007, she was posthumously awarded the Women in Film ‘Working Title Films Lifetime Achievement Award’.

Govane family of Drumquhassle

  • F0001
  • Family

The Barony of Drumquhassle is recorded as early as 1550, when it was owned by John Cunningham. The estate, which extended from south east of Drymen, north of Glasgow (where it bordered the estate of the Buchanan, later Leith Buchanan Family) to Gartness on the River Endrick, was purchased by the Govane family in the 17th century from the heirs of Archibald, Lord Napier. The estate comprised farms, houses, corn, lint and woollen mills, and the mansion house, Park of Drumquhassle. The earliest record of the family in the area is in 1637, when William Govan was a merchant in Drymen. In addition to the landed estate, the family had business interests (probably textiles) locally and in Glasgow. They also appear to have had business interests overseas, in South America, Antigua and Maryland, where they were among the founding families of Baltimore. A grand new mansion house was built in 1839 to replace the old Park of Drumquhassle. After the death of Barbara Govane in 1870, the house was leased to tenants and was eventually sold to Mr George Mitchell around 1919.

Houston family of Johnstone

  • F0002
  • Family

The Houston family purchased the lands of Little Mains of Johnstone in the 1640s. During the late 18th century, George Houston, 4th Laird of Johnstone, extended Johnstone Castle, developed the extensive coal mines at Quarrelton and opened lime works at Floor Craig. There were also cotton mills on the Houston Estate.

Chemical Society of Glasgow

  • C0066
  • Corporate body
  • Founded 1798

The Chemical Society of Glasgow appears to have been founded in 1798, according to Sir William Ramsay, whose grandfather, William Ramsay of Camlachie was elected its first president. The Society met 'in their Hall' in Graeme Street, and conducted chemical experiments. There had been an earlier Chemical Society in Glasgow, probably associated with Glasgow College or University in the 1780s.

Dalzell estate

  • C0028
  • Corporate body

The Dalzell Estate was owned by John Glencairn Carter Hamilton. It included a number of collieries and quarries in Lanarkshire: Lady Emily, Camp, Dalzell, Shields and Parkhead Collieries, and Jerviston, Coursington and Knowehead Quarries. The condition of the mines and quarries was regularly surveyed by mining engineers.

Glasgow and West of Scotland Management Association

  • C0063
  • Corporate body
  • 1950-1957

The Glasgow and West of Scotland Management Association was formed in 1950, to stimulate the development of good management practice in the fields of industry, commerce, banking and insurance, and in public, semi-public and institutional administration. Its first meeting was held on 5 December 1950. Dr David Anderson, Director of the Royal Technical College, was a member of the General Council of the Association. In May 1957, the Association became the Glasgow and District Branch of the British Institute of Management.

Glasgow Athenaeum Commercial College

  • C0044
  • Corporate body
  • 1888-1915

The Glasgow Athenaeum Commercial College was established in 1888 to look after the commercial teaching side of the Glasgow Athenaeum. The two institutions shared the Athenaeum building. In 1903, the College became a Scottish Central Institution funded by the Scotch Education Department. In 1915, in order to conduct a public appeal for funds for a new building, the College was reconstituted as the Glasgow and West of Scotland Commercial College (Incorporated).

Glasgow School of Management

  • C0040
  • Corporate body
  • 1950-1964

The Glasgow School of Management was established in 1950 as a joint venture of the Royal Technical College and the Glasgow and West of Scotland Commercial College (later the Scottish College of Commerce). Joint courses in management had been offered from 1947, and links between the two institutions dated back to 1915 when the Royal College was first represented on the Board of Governors of the Commercial College. The Royal College Department of Industrial Administration was closely involved in running the management courses. The School of Management was administered by a Joint Committee of representatives of both colleges. This Joint Committee was abolished after the merger of the colleges to form the University of Strathclyde.

Results 1 to 15 of 2010