Showing 1942 results

names

University of Strathclyde | Academic Congress

  • C0001
  • Corporate body
  • 1964 to date

The Academic Congress is a meeting of the whole of the full time academic staff of the University. It is called at least once a year to be addressed by the Principal. The Congress has the power to discuss and declare an opinion on any matter relating to the University and to communicate directly with the Court or Senate on such matters.

William Baird & Company, iron and coal masters

  • C0002
  • Corporate body
  • 1830-1893

William Baird & Company was established in 1830 by William and James Baird. The company had its origins in 1816, when Alexander Baird, whose family is recorded as having owned land in Lanarkshire, Scotland as far back as the 13th century, began working coal leases there. By 1826, he and his sons owned numerous coal and mineral leases. In 1828, two of Alexander’s sons, William and James, began to erect the Gartsherrie Ironworks at Gartsherrie, North Lanarkshire, Scotland, and within fifteen years the works had grown to be the largest in the country with sixteen furnaces. In 1830, William and James took over all the coal leases and formed William Baird & Company.

In around 1843, William and James Baird were involved in the establishment of the Eglinton Iron Company that managed the Gartsherrie Ironworks, building furnaces at Kilwinning, North Ayrshire and purchasing furnaces at Blair and Dalry, North Ayrshire in 1852, Lugar, East Ayrshire in 1856, and Portland in 1864. By the mid 1860s, the company was producing twenty-five per cent of Scotland's output of pig iron with the capacity to produce 300,000 tons per year, and employing 10,000 men and boys. Bairds was probably the largest single producer of pig iron in the world at that time. The company operated blast furnaces at Gartsherrie, coke ovens at Kilsyth, Stirlingshire and Bedlay, Lanarkshire and collieries at Bothwell and Bedlay in Lanarkshire, Kilsyth, and Bathgate, West Lothian. They also owned cement works at Gartsherrie and brickworks at Gartshore, Dunbartonshire.

In 1852, the company was the first to introduce the cylindrical furnace in Scotland. It also experimented with blast heaters, raising the heat to 800 degrees Fahrenheit. Gartsherrie Ironworks gained a reputation for technical sophistication and attracted visitors from England, Europe and America. The Bairds provided schools, churches and recreational institutes for their workforce but opposed trade unionism. The Baird brothers also had considerable interests in banking and held twenty-nine railway company directorships and five chairmanships.

By the 1870s, the company was working mines in the North East of England, in what was the county of Cumberland, and also in Spain. In 1893, the firm was incorporated as William Baird & Company Ltd.

University of Strathclyde | Department of Physics

  • C0004
  • Corporate body
  • c 1899 to date

The Department of Physics originated in 1796 with the appointment at Anderson’s Institution (an antecedent of the University of Strathclyde) of the first Professor of Natural Philosophy. It was not until later, however, that a department formally came into existence. From at least 1899, there are references to the Department of Natural Philosophy. In 1968 the department split into the Department of Natural Philosophy (in 1983 renamed the Department of Physics) and the Department of Applied Physics. The two were reunited as the Department of Physics and Applied Physics in 1986. In 2002 the department was renamed the Department of Physics.

University of Strathclyde | Department of Pure and Applied Chemistry

  • C0005
  • Corporate body
  • 1964 to date

The origins of the Department of Pure and Applied Chemistry can be traced to 1796 when chemistry instruction was first provided at Anderson's Institution (antecedent of the University of Strathclyde). At that time, chemistry was taught as an adjunct to medicine or natural philosophy, and it was not until 1830 that the first independent Professor of Chemistry was appointed. Following this, the Young Chair of Technical Chemistry was established in 1870. Chemistry and Chemical Technology then operated as two separate departments, until 1964 when they merged to form the Department of Pure and Applied Chemistry.

University of Strathclyde | General Convocation

  • C0006
  • Corporate body
  • 1964-

General Convocation meets once a year and comprises the officers of the University and members of Court as well as members drawn from other educational institutions, business, local government, politics, Lord Lieutenants and the legal establishment. Audited financial statements for the previous year and a report by the Principal are presented to it. Convocation may discuss any matter relating to the University and convey its opinion to the Court. It appoints the Chancellor as Head of the University, and has the right to appoint four members to Court.

A list of the members of the General Convocation is published in the University calendar.

University of Strathclyde | Court

  • C0007
  • Corporate body
  • 1964 to date

The Court is the overall governing body of the University. It is responsible for overseeing the management and administration of the whole of the revenue and property of the University. On matters relating to the academic work of the University, Court will normally only act on the recommendation of the Senate.

University of Strathclyde | Senate

  • C0008
  • Corporate body
  • 1964 to date

The Senate is the academic governing body of the University of Strathclyde and is responsible for all academic matters including academic standards and quality.

Occupational and Environmental Diseases Association

  • C0011
  • Corporate body
  • 1978-2010

Founded by health and safety campaigner Nancy Tait (1920-2009), the Occupational and Environmental Diseases Association (OEDA) started out as the world’s first asbestos action group, the Society for the Prevention of Asbestosis and Industrial Diseases (SPAID).

SPAID was registered as a charity in November 1978, initially operating from Nancy Tait’s home in Enfield, North London. Following a successful funding bid to the Greater London Council, the charity occupied office space in Cuffley, North London, from October 1983. Funding continued for nearly 20 years. In 1988 SPAID added an electron microscope laboratory to its services, the EM Research Unit, which was equipped with the latest technology to detect asbestos fibres in lung tissue. The EM Unit occupied a ground floor suite at Mitre House, Enfield, which also provided additional office space. In 1995 the organisation’s two offices were consolidated at Mitre House.

At the instigation of the organisation's main funding body, SPAID underwent a management review by the Charities Effectiveness Review Trust during 1991. One outcome of the reviewing process was the decision to appoint a salaried executive director and to bring the organisation in line with the funding body’s standards for business procedures. A working party was set up in 1992, with the result that OEDA was formally incorporated at the end of September 1993 and registered as a charity in January 1994. At that stage OEDA was projected to take over as SPAID’s successor organisation from April 1994. In effect the two bodies existed in tandem for over two years. During the transition an executive director was appointed but remained in office for three months only, after which management reverted to previous arrangements. SPAID officially became OEDA in January 1996. As part of the name change, the organisation's mission broadened out to encompass occupational and environmental health issues that were not related to asbestos more explicitly than before.

From 2000 to 2002, when a new legislative body known as the Greater London Authority (GLA) was established, OEDA received GLA funding. OEDA's subsequent applications to GLA were unsuccessful. OEDA was dissolved as a registered company in April 2009, two months after Nancy Tait's death, and finally removed from the register of charities on 9 May 2010.

Original proposals for the name of the charity included 'Trust for Asbestos Welfare Research and Control' (TAWRC) and 'Asbestos Induced Diseases Society' (AIDS). Proposals for the name of the successor organisation OEDA included 'Occupational Diseases Association' (ODA), 'Industrial Diseases of the Environment Association' (IDEA) and 'Investigation of Industrial Diseases of the Environment Association' (IIDEA).

The OEDA logo was designed by Matt Wilson. The contact with the designer was through then OEDA chairman Mr Laurie Horam.

SPAID was registered as a charity on 30 November 1978 (Registered Charity 276995) and removed from the register on 11 January 2000. OEDA was registered as a charity on 6 January 1994 (Registered Charity 1031036) and removed from the register on 9 May 2010. OEDA had previously been incorporated as a private limited company by guarantee without share capital use of 'Limited' exemption (Company Number 02864612, from 21 October 1993) and was formally dissolved on 14 April 2009. Known addresses for the organisation were 6A Station Road, Cuffley; Mitre House, 66 Abbey Road, Enfield; and Nancy Tait's home at 38 Drapers Road, Enfield.

Society of Chemical Industry | Glasgow and West of Scotland Section

  • C0013
  • Corporate body
  • 1884- c 1962

This branch of the Society of Chemical Industry was founded in 1884 as the Glasgow and Scotland Section, but was renamed following the establishment of a new branch in Edinburgh in 1915.

The society served as a forum for discussion on matters relating to the chemical industry, and held regular meetings in the Royal Technical College, Glasgow. Many members of staff of Anderson's College and the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College, later the Royal Technical College, were members of the Society. J.M. Leitch, senior lecturer in bakery technology and student advisor at the Royal Technical College, held the post of sectional secretary for a time.

The UK and international societies were still in existence in 2009, with the purpose of promoting the commercial application of science for the benefit of society.

Anderson's College, Glasgow | Committee of Ordinary Managers

  • C0014
  • Corporate body
  • 1796-1887

The Committee of Ordinary Managers was responsible for the ordinary administration of the affairs of the institution subject to the control of the trustees.

The committee held its first meeting on 26 March 1796. It met once a month.

Results 1 to 15 of 1942