Appointed Lecturer, Department of Immunology, University of Strathclyde in 1991 and Professor of Molecular Immunology in 2002. Head of Department of Immunology, 2005-2006. Director of Research in Strathclyde Institute of Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences (SIPBS) from August 2009 to 2013.
Barrie Walters joined the University of Strathclyde in 1967 as an Assistant Lecturer in French. Subsequent appointments included: Lecturer, 1969; Adviser of Studies, 1975; Senior Adviser of Studies, c. 1983; Vice Dean, 1990; Dean, 1999.
Margaret Bradley was born on 29 September 1944 and brought up in Cowcaddens, Glasgow as one of a family of five children. She attended Garnethill Convent of Mercy Senior Secondary School from 1956 to 1960. After leaving school, she moved, aged 17, to the United States of America to work as a nanny, but soon returned to Glasgow, where she held a series of jobs including a clerical role in the Accounts Department at Glasgow Corporation, a post as a bank teller, and another as a cashier and bookkeeper. She also volunteered for several charities, including two that were particularly close to her heart: the Scottish Spina Bifida Association, for which she served as Honorary Secretary and Treasurer, and the Coeliac Society, for which she acted as Treasurer. One of Margaret's family members suffered from Spina Bifida, while she herself had Coeliac disease and tried to raise awareness of the condition at a time when it was relatively little known.
In the early 1970s, Margaret returned to education, taking a course in law accounting at Central College, Glasgow, which she passed in November 1971. She followed this by attending evening classes at the Glasgow High School Further Education Centre to gain the Scottish Certificate of Education (SCE) qualifications required for admission to university. In 1974, she sat and passed the SCE Ordinary Grade examination in Modern Studies, along with the SCE Higher Grade examinations in English and Geography; in 1975, she sat and passed the SCE Higher Grade examinations in Modern Studies, History and Accounting, and the SCE Ordinary Grade examination in French. In 1975, Margaret was accepted to study accountancy as a full-time, mature student at the University of Strathclyde. She graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Arts with Honours in Accountancy in 1979 and went on to a successful career in finance, ending her working life as head of finance for North Glasgow Housing Association. She married Cheng Eng Oo in 1985, but the couple divorced in 2005 and had no children.
Margaret had a lifelong love of travel, which retirement gave her the freedom to pursue. Both intrepid and resourceful, she delighted in exploring different countries all over the world. She also enjoyed ballroom dancing and had an appreciation for fine art, collecting modern abstract oil paintings, studio pottery and oriental artwork. She died, aged 78, in 2023.
Family of engravers in Paris around 1800.
English artists and engravers.
The original St David's Church was built in 1720, in the heart of the Merchant City of Glasgow. This building was demolished in the early 19th century to create a new road, Ingram Street, and a new St David's Church was built in 1824 on the same site. Thomas Rickman, a Birmingham architect, was chosen to design the new building, and his plans were modified by Dr James Cleland, Superintendent of Public Works in Glasgow. The church halls were constructed in 1920. By 1911, all thirty two windows had been filled with stained or painted glass, containing memorials to prominent citizens. Most of the stained glass was made in Glasgow, which was a world leader in stained glass at that time.
The Merchant City area declined during the 20th century and, with a dwindling congregation, the Church of Scotland sold the Ramshorn Church to the University of Strathclyde in 1982. The building later became the home of the Strathclyde Theatre Group. The University also had a much older connection with the Ramshorn, in that the University's founder, Professor John Anderson, attended the church in the 18th century and was buried in the crypt. His grandfather and namesake, the Reverend John Anderson had been its minister in earlier days.
The Association of Directors of Education in Scotland was formed in 1920 to represent the directors appointed by the new ad hoc education authorities. Throughout its history, ADES has played an important role in advising upon and implementing the educational policies of successive governments and local education authorities. It seeks to promote awareness of and make national representation on educational issues and to promote the professional interests of its members. The Association conducts its business through an executive and standing committees, and through organising conferences and debates.