Showing 2019 results

names

Atkinson's Institution, Glasgow

  • C0030
  • Corporate body

Atkinson's Institution was founded under the will of Thomas Atkinson, a radical bookseller in Glasgow and former Lecturer in Craniology at Anderson's Institution. Atkinson's Institution was intended 'for the instruction of artisans and all members of the middle classes in literature and languages'. Run initially on the lines of a personal trust, it was incorporated under the Atkinson Institution of Glasgow Act 1861, but never achieved physical existence although the Trustees built up considerable funds. Atkinson's Institution was absorbed into the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College in 1887 and the Institution's funds were used to provide bursaries for students.

Audeh, Costandi Amin, b. 1932, chemist

  • P0423
  • Person
  • b. 1932

Costandi (known as Costi) Audeh was born in 1932 in Nazareth, Palestine and educated at the Missionary Societies' Bishop Gobat School in Jerusalem. In 1948, he, like his father and brother before him, enrolled as a medical student at the American University of Beirut, Lebanon. However, it soon became apparent that his true interest was not medicine but chemistry, and after passing the required entrance examination, he was accepted onto the four-year BSc course in Applied Chemistry at the University of Glasgow in 1951. Under an affiliation scheme between the University and the Royal Technical College (RTC), now the University of Strathclyde, students aiming for a degree in pure science or engineering could choose to take many of their required classes at the RTC. Costi did so, attending the RTC as a matriculated University student and graduating in 1955. He also took additional classes at the RTC in order to qualify for its Associateship (ARTC) in Applied Chemistry that same year. He went on to work for the British Rubber Producers' Research Association in Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire, but after a few years he returned to the Middle East, attracted by the prospect of a career in the oil industry. In 1958 he became a Refinery Chemist with the Kuwait Oil Company (KOC), where he found another eight alumni of the University of Glasgow and the RTC amongst the employees, and where he developed expertise in the evaluation of crude oil. In 1962, Costi married Margaret Clark, a school teacher from Hull , who was also employed by KOC. Costi was subsequently transferred from KOC to Gulf Oil Corporation’s Gulf Research and Development Corporation (GRDC), and the Audehs departed for Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States of America, where Costi was responsible for producing a handbook about all aspects of Kuwait Crude Oil and its derivative products. In 1966, he secured educational leave of absence to allow himself, Margaret and their two young sons to return to the United Kingdom, where he had been accepted onto the D.Phil. research programme in Physical Organic Chemistry at the University of York. Costi graduated in October 1970, and in 1971 took up a position in the Technology Department of the Mobil Research and Development Corporation (MRDC). There he developed generalised algorithms to predict the properties of various commercially obtained refinery products based on the properties of small distillate fractions obtained from crude oil by distillation in the laboratory. The algorithms were then converted to computer programs, known as ‘ASA Programs’. In 1974 he transferred from the Technology Department to the Central Research Division, later renamed the Central Research Laboratory (CRL) of MRDC, where he studied the chemistry and oxidative stability of petroleum based lubricating oil. Within the CRL, collaboration and the exchange of idea between researchers and staff from different departments was both facilitated and encouraged, and Costi benefitted from this, collaborating with various staff members from different areas of the MRDC to produce proposed solutions. Mobil saw sufficient potential in these proposed solutions to make them the subjects of numerous national and international patent applications, lodged before Costi's retirement from the corporation in 1993.

Auld, Mary, 1893-1984, political activist

  • P0038
  • Person

Mary Auld was brought up in Lockerbie, Dumfriesshire, and moved to Glasgow during World War I. Her first husband was killed in action, leaving her to care for three young step children. In 1922, she married Jimmy Auld, and both became active members of the Cathcart Labour Party. For twelve years Mary was chairman of Glasgow Women's Advisory Council and served on the Executive of the Scottish Council of the Labour Party from 1932-1941, being chairman in 1937. She encouraged women to take an active role in the Labour Party and organised systematic canvassing, welfare and educational work. In this voluntary capacity she worked closely with Mary Sutherland, Women's Officer of the Scottish Labour Party during the 1920s and with her successor, Agnes Lauder, when Mary Sutherland moved to London as Chief Woman Officer of the Labour Party, a post which she held from 1932-1960. In mid 1940, Mary Auld was appointed Woman Organiser for Scotland after the death of Agnes Lauder, and filled this post with distinction until her retirement in 1958.

Bailey, Vernon Howe, 1874-1953, painter and illustrator

  • P1208
  • Person
  • 1874 - 1953

Born in New Jersey in 1874 and educated at the Pennsylvania Museum School of Art in Philadelphia, Bailey later studied at the Royal College of Art, London; Academie de l’ecluse, and Academie Bilouil, Paris. A staff artist on the Philadelphia Times, the Boston Herald, and a contributor to Harper's, Bailey was also a U.S. navy contract artist upon America's entry into WWI. His special subjects were city streets, landscapes, buildings and maritime scenes in Europe and America. The best known of his drawings are his sketches in pencil of London, his watercolor and drawings of Spain and his drawings of skyscrapers in New York City.

Baird, John Logie, 1888-1946, television pioneer

  • P0154
  • Person
  • 1888-1946

John Logie Baird was born in Helensburgh and studied electrical engineering at the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College. He was awarded an associateship of the College in 1914 and went on to attend Glasgow University as a final year BSc degree student, but did not sit the examinations.

On the completion of his studies, Baird became apprenticed with Argyll Motors and went on to work with other firms, including the Clyde Valley Electrical Power Company. In 1916 he applied for military service but was declared medically unfit. Following this, he engaged in various private business ventures in Glasgow, London and the West Indies.

In 1922 he retired to Hastings in order to recuperate from ill health. He rented an attic in a small house and it was here that he began to experiment with transmitting and receiving visual signals. He had limited resources, but in 1924 his efforts were rewarded by a flickering image on his screen. He returned to London and was able to receive enough backing to enable him to give a public demonstration. This was given at Selfridge’s Oxford Street store in April 1925 and showed the transmission of crude outlines of simple objects. The world’s first demonstration of television followed on 26 January 1926 at the Royal Institution, London. In May 1927 the first demonstration of television between London and Glasgow took place, and in February of the following year the first transatlantic television broadcast was successfully carried out. On 30 September 1929 the BBC made its first television broadcast using the Baird 30-line system.

Baird married Margaret Cecilia Albu in 1931 and together they had a son, Malcolm, and a daughter, Diana. Baird died on 14 June 1946 in Bexhill-on-Sea in Sussex.

Baird was an honorary Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, a Fellow of the Physical Society, and an Associate of the Royal Technical College, Glasgow.

Bank of Credit and Commerce International

  • C0057
  • Corporate body
  • 1972-1991

The Bank of Credit and Commerce International (BCCI) was founded in 1972 by Agha Hasan Abedi, a Pakistani financier. Within a decade, it operated in 78 countries, had over 400 branches, and had assets in excess of US$ 20 billion making it the 7th largest private bank in the world by assets.

On July 5, 1991, regulators shut BCCI down.

Banks, William McKerrell, b. c. 1944, mechanical engineer

  • P0664
  • Person

William (Bill) Banks studied mechanical engineering at the Royal Technical College, Glasgow and the University of Strathclyde from 1962 to 1966. He later became Professor of Advanced Materials at the University of Strathclyde.

Banks was President of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers in 2008. He was also a Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering and of the Royal Society of Edinburgh. He also served on the Council of the Institute of Materials Mining and Minerals.

Results 76 to 90 of 2019