Showing 1928 results

names

Antoniw, Mick, b. 1954, personal injury lawyer, politician

  • P0806
  • Person
  • 1954-present

In 1973 Mick Antoniw came to Wales to study law at the Cardiff Law School, University of Wales. He trained at Thompsons Solicitors, Cardiff, from 1980 and eventually became a partner. He is a Welsh Labour & Co-operative politician, who has represented the constituency of Pontypridd since the National Assembly for Wales election of 2011.

Ardern, Lawrence L., b. 1912, librarian

  • P0100
  • Person

Following posts with Manchester Public Libraries and the Manchester Institute of Science and Technology, Lawrence Ardern was librarian at the Scottish College of Commerce, 1962-1964, and deputy librarian at the University of Strathclyde, 1964-1972. He was an expert in the field of micrographics. Following his retirement, he opened a bookshop in Kirkcudbright.

Association of Directors of Education in Scotland

  • C0054
  • Corporate body
  • 1920 to date

The Association of Directors of Education in Scotland was formed in 1920 to represent the directors appointed by the new ad hoc education authorities. Throughout its history, ADES has played an important role in advising upon and implementing the educational policies of successive governments and local education authorities. It seeks to promote awareness of and make national representation on educational issues and to promote the professional interests of its members. The Association conducts its business through an executive and standing committees, and through organising conferences and debates.

Association of Lecturers in Colleges of Education in Scotland

  • C0385
  • Corporate body
  • Founded 1959

The Association of Lecturers in Colleges of Education in Scotland (ALCES) was founded in 1959, following earlier moves, in 1954, to form a local association of college lecturers at Aberdeen College of Education. The move to found such an association may be linked to the restructuring of training colleges in Scotland in 1959. The colleges were removed from the control of the national and local provincial committees for the training of teachers and designated as colleges of education, each under their own board of governors. In 1959 there were colleges at Jordanhill in Glasgow, Moray House in Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee, together with two Roman Catholic colleges - Notre Dame in Glasgow and Craiglockhart in Edinburgh - and the specialist Dunfermline College of Physical Education for women students. Three new colleges would be opened in the 1960s in Hamilton, Ayr and Falkirk.

ALCES submitted comments on all the major issues in education from the 1960s onwards, including the closure of colleges of education in the 1980s. The organisation affiliated to the Trades Union Congress and Scottish Trades Union Congress in the 1970s. As the colleges of education reduced in number and the remaining colleges merged with local universities, ALCES merged with the Educational Institute of Scotland as the EIS-University Lecturer’s Association (EIS-ULA).

Association of Speech Therapists

  • C0442
  • Corporate body
  • 1934 - 1945

The Association of Speech Therapists joined with the British Society of Speech Therapists in 1945 to form the College of Speech Therapists, which was renamed the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists in 1995, when it turned fifty.

Atkinson's Institution, Glasgow

  • C0030
  • Corporate body

Atkinson's Institution was founded under the will of Thomas Atkinson, a radical bookseller in Glasgow and former Lecturer in Craniology at Anderson's Institution. Atkinson's Institution was intended 'for the instruction of artisans and all members of the middle classes in literature and languages'. Run initially on the lines of a personal trust, it was incorporated under the Atkinson Institution of Glasgow Act 1861, but never achieved physical existence although the Trustees built up considerable funds. Atkinson's Institution was absorbed into the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College in 1887 and the Institution's funds were used to provide bursaries for students.

Atkinson, Thomas, ? 1801-1833, poet and writer, bookseller

  • P0017
  • Person
  • ? 1801-1833

Thomas Atkinson was a radical bookseller in Glasgow and Lecturer in Craniology at Anderson's Institution. By his will, he founded Atkinson's Institution 'for the instruction of artisans and all members of the middle classes in literature and languages'.

Audeh, Costandi Amin, b. 1932, chemist

  • P0423
  • Person
  • b. 1932

Costandi (known as Costi) Audeh was born in 1932 in Nazareth, Palestine and educated at the Missionary Societies' Bishop Gobat School in Jerusalem. In 1948, he, like his father and brother before him, enrolled as a medical student at the American University of Beirut, Lebanon. However, it soon became apparent that his true interest was not medicine but chemistry, and after passing the required entrance examination, he was accepted onto the four-year BSc course in Applied Chemistry at the University of Glasgow in 1951. Under an affiliation scheme between the University and the Royal Technical College (RTC), now the University of Strathclyde, students aiming for a degree in pure science or engineering could choose to take many of their required classes at the RTC. Costi did so, attending the RTC as a matriculated University student and graduating in 1955. He also took additional classes at the RTC in order to qualify for its Associateship (ARTC) in Applied Chemistry that same year. He went on to work for the British Rubber Producers' Research Association in Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire, but after a few years he returned to the Middle East, attracted by the prospect of a career in the oil industry. In 1958 he became a Refinery Chemist with the Kuwait Oil Company (KOC), where he found another eight alumni of the University of Glasgow and the RTC amongst the employees, and where he developed expertise in the evaluation of crude oil. In 1962, Costi married Margaret Clark, a school teacher from Hull , who was also employed by KOC. Costi was subsequently transferred from KOC to Gulf Oil Corporation’s Gulf Research and Development Corporation (GRDC), and the Audehs departed for Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States of America, where Costi was responsible for producing a handbook about all aspects of Kuwait Crude Oil and its derivative products. In 1966, he secured educational leave of absence to allow himself, Margaret and their two young sons to return to the United Kingdom, where he had been accepted onto the D.Phil. research programme in Physical Organic Chemistry at the University of York. Costi graduated in October 1970, and in 1971 took up a position in the Technology Department of the Mobil Research and Development Corporation (MRDC). There he developed generalised algorithms to predict the properties of various commercially obtained refinery products based on the properties of small distillate fractions obtained from crude oil by distillation in the laboratory. The algorithms were then converted to computer programs, known as ‘ASA Programs’. In 1974 he transferred from the Technology Department to the Central Research Division, later renamed the Central Research Laboratory (CRL) of MRDC, where he studied the chemistry and oxidative stability of petroleum based lubricating oil. Within the CRL, collaboration and the exchange of idea between researchers and staff from different departments was both facilitated and encouraged, and Costi benefitted from this, collaborating with various staff members from different areas of the MRDC to produce proposed solutions. Mobil saw sufficient potential in these proposed solutions to make them the subjects of numerous national and international patent applications, lodged before Costi's retirement from the corporation in 1993.

Results 61 to 75 of 1928