James Percival Agnew was the Chairman of the Scottish College of Commerce at the time of the merger with the Royal College of Science and Technology to form the University of Strathclyde in 1964. Agnew was awarded an honorary Doctor of Laws from the University of Strathclyde on 20th September 1966.
Agnew was a lecturer in chemistry at the Royal Technical College from 1907 to ?.
Isabel Aitken (later Mrs Young) was a student at Jordanhill College of Education, Glasgow from 1940 to 1943.
Margaret B. Aitkenhead (known as Maggie) was educated at High Blantyre Public School. From there, she enrolled for a teacher training course at the Glasgow Church of Scotland Training College in July 1886, having passed the entrance examination in the Second Class. She completed her two years of training and qualified for her teaching certificate at Christmas 1888.
Pedro Teixeira Albernaz published in 1662 a map of Portugal which became the basis for many subsequent maps of the country.
Guy Aldred was an anarchist and political propagandist. He wrote and published a stream of pamphlets, books, and journals, and set up a number of printing presses, from the Bakunin Press in London (1907) to the Strickland Press in Glasgow (1939–1968).
In July 1991, Alan Alexander, then Professor of Local and Public Management in the University of Strathclyde, was commissioned by the Western Isles Island Council to conduct an independent enquiry into the losses sustained by the Council in the collapse of the Bank of Credit and Commerce International (BCCI) on 5 July 1991.
Photography studio established 1854 in Florence.
Allan Glen's Institution was founded in 1853 under the will of Allan Glen (1772-1850), wright in Glasgow, who made 'provision for giving gratuitously a good practical education to about 50 boys, sons of tradesmen or persons in the industrial classes in Glasgow'. The school was built on land owned by Glen at the corner of Cathedral Street and North Hanover Street.
It was incorporated by Act of Parliament in 1876 and concentrated increasingly on scientific and technical education. It was an important feeder school for Anderson's University, and a significant number of pupils won scholarships to Cambridge University and Imperial College, London. In 1887 Allan Glen's became part of the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College and in 1912 the school was transferred to the control of the School Board of Glasgow.
Charles Allan was a lecturer in economics at the University of Strathclyde, c. 1966-1975. He was also world caber-tossing champion, 1972. He later became a farmer in Aberdeenshire and a broadcaster.