Family of engravers in Paris around 1800.
The Barony of Drumquhassle is recorded as early as 1550, when it was owned by John Cunningham. The estate, which extended from south east of Drymen, north of Glasgow (where it bordered the estate of the Buchanan, later Leith Buchanan Family) to Gartness on the River Endrick, was purchased by the Govane family in the 17th century from the heirs of Archibald, Lord Napier. The estate comprised farms, houses, corn, lint and woollen mills, and the mansion house, Park of Drumquhassle. The earliest record of the family in the area is in 1637, when William Govan was a merchant in Drymen. In addition to the landed estate, the family had business interests (probably textiles) locally and in Glasgow. They also appear to have had business interests overseas, in South America, Antigua and Maryland, where they were among the founding families of Baltimore. A grand new mansion house was built in 1839 to replace the old Park of Drumquhassle. After the death of Barbara Govane in 1870, the house was leased to tenants and was eventually sold to Mr George Mitchell around 1919.
English artists and engravers.
The Houston family purchased the lands of Little Mains of Johnstone in the 1640s. During the late 18th century, George Houston, 4th Laird of Johnstone, extended Johnstone Castle, developed the extensive coal mines at Quarrelton and opened lime works at Floor Craig. There were also cotton mills on the Houston Estate.
The Leith Buchanan Family were the owners of Ross Priory at Gartocharn on the shores of Loch Lomond. The Buchanan Family had been associated with this area since the 11th century, when they gained the lands of Cameron and Drummikill. The 'Lands of the Ross' were purchased by William Buchanan in 1625. The male line died out and the heiress of the Ross married Sir Alexander Wellesley William Leith in 1830.
French printmakers and print publishers.