Showing 489 results

names
Corporate body

'96 Group

  • C0191
  • Corporate body
  • Established 1954

The '96 Group was formed under the aegis of the Royal Technical College Staff Club in February 1954 to ensure the collection and preservation of the records of the College and its forebears, and to encourage interest in the College's history. It was formed in preparation for the bicentenary of the College, in 1996.

Allan Glen's Institution, Glasgow

  • C0031
  • Corporate body
  • 1853-1887

Allan Glen's Institution was founded in 1853 under the will of Allan Glen (1772-1850), wright in Glasgow, who made 'provision for giving gratuitously a good practical education to about 50 boys, sons of tradesmen or persons in the industrial classes in Glasgow'. The school was built on land owned by Glen at the corner of Cathedral Street and North Hanover Street.

It was incorporated by Act of Parliament in 1876 and concentrated increasingly on scientific and technical education. It was an important feeder school for Anderson's University, and a significant number of pupils won scholarships to Cambridge University and Imperial College, London. In 1887 Allan Glen's became part of the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College and in 1912 the school was transferred to the control of the School Board of Glasgow.

Anderson College of Medicine, Glasgow

  • C0051
  • Corporate body
  • 1887-1947

The Anderson College of Medicine had its origins in 1799 as the Medical Faculty of Anderson's Institution, Glasgow. Following the restructuring of technical education in Glasgow in 1887, the Medical School became a separate institution, called Anderson's College Medical School. In 1889, the School relocated to a new building near the Western Infirmary, designed by the architects, Honeyman and Keppie. In 1913, the School changed its name to the Anderson College of Medicine. Following the establishment of the National Health Service in 1947, the School amalgamated with the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Glasgow.

Andersonian Chemical Society

  • C0189
  • Corporate body
  • 1886 to date

The Andersonian Chemical Society was founded in November 1886 as Anderson’s College Science Society. In 1887, the name was changed to the Andersonian Chemical Society. Its object was the promotion of interest in the study of chemistry. To this end, it organised regular papers and debates on scientific subjects.

It is believed the society is the longest running student chemical society in Great Britain.

Andersonian Museum, Glasgow

  • C0094
  • Corporate body
  • 1796-c 1900

The Andersonian Museum developed out of the collection of scientific apparatus and natural history specimens collected by John Anderson and bequeathed by him, in 1796, to Anderson's Institution. This formed the nucleus of the Museum's collections to which were added other specimens illustrative of local natural history. The aim of the Museum was to provide a general collection in which every department of natural history was represented and each specimen named so that the student, by aid of the catalogue, could become his own teacher. It was considered that natural history was the area best calculated to promote a taste for science.

The mid-nineteenth century was a period of remarkable expansion, and the Museum attracted many donations from trustees, students, teachers and others. There was a fine collection of stuffed birds, and the collection of coins, antiquities, and other curiosities was extensive and valuable. The designer of the Museum's building, James Smith, of Jordanhill, President of Anderson's University, also donated coins and medals and Thomas Eddington II presented mineral specimens, animals and birds. The gallery devoted to birds included 2,000 specimens bought from Joseph Sabine, and in 1860, Professor Robert Hunter gave the Museum a thousand anatomical specimens on the occasion of his retirement. Specimens also came from the British Association for the Advancement of Science (collection of fossils and minerals), the Glasgow Dilettanti Society (its collection of models on permanent loan), Dr James Couper (1150 mineral specimens, 500 foreign shells, 140 British shells), the Lord Commissioners of the Treasury (a group of Roman, Anglo-Saxon, and ancient Scottish coins discovered in 1851), and James Scouller (Natural History specimens).

In 1856, one of the Museum's benefactors, William Euing, proposed the building of an extension. Money was raised with the help of Euing and his friends, and the final refitting of the cupola and reordering of the Museum was in progress by November 1862.

By the 1870s, however, the Museum began to pass into decline. Visitor numbers were falling and the negotiations for the formation of the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College and the move towards more technical subjects rendered the collections of little value for teaching purposes. In addition, there was pressure on accommodation and, in 1882, the ground floor of the Museum was converted into a reading room and the collections relegated to the galleries. In 1887, a decision was made to transfer to other museums all the collections not required for teaching purposes. Most of the ethnographic collections were given to the Hunterian Museum at Glasgow University whilst the coin collections and much else went to the Kelvingrove Museum. The Museum ceased to exist about 1900. A few items, such as John Anderson's musket and dirk remain at the University of Strathclyde.

Andersonian Naturalists' Society

  • C0370
  • Corporate body
  • Founded 1885

The Andersonian Naturalists’ Society was founded by students at Anderson’s College, Glasgow on 25 August 1885. Its object was to encourage the study of natural science in all its branches. Observation in the field was regarded as critical and a notable characteristic of the society was its successful excursion programme. From the beginning, photography was of great importance and the exhibition of photographs became a usual feature of meetings.

The first president of the Society was the Rev. Alexander S. Wilson.

In 1930, the Society amalgamated with the Microscopical Society of Glasgow and the Natural History Society of Glasgow to form the Glasgow and Andersonian Natural History and Microscopical Society. By 1958, it was known as the Andersonian Naturalists' of Glasgow. By 1985, it had reverted to the title Andersonian Naturalist's Society .

Anderson's College, Glasgow

  • C0046
  • Corporate body
  • 1796-1887

Founded under the will of John Anderson (1726-1796), Professor of Natural Philosophy in the University of Glasgow, Anderson's (or the Andersonian) Institution was established in 1796. The intention was to establish four faculties, of Arts, Medicine, Law and Theology, though Law and Theology were never founded. Courses in chemistry, natural philosophy, mathematics and other scientific subjects, together with English, rhetoric, music and art were offered. In keeping with John Anderson's views, classes were offered for the mechanics of the city. Among the early professors were eminent men such as Thomas Garnett, George Birkbeck and Thomas Graham. In 1828 the institution changed its name to Anderson's University and in 1877 it changed again to Anderson's College, as it lacked a royal warrant to function as a university.

An important part of the institution (founded in 1799) was Anderson's Medical School, of which David Livingstone was perhaps the most famous alumnus. In 1887, the Medical School became an independent institution, and it eventually merged with the University of Glasgow Medical Faculty in 1947.

Anderson's College merged with other institutions in 1887 to become the main component in the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College.

Anderson's College, Glasgow | Committee of Ordinary Managers

  • C0014
  • Corporate body
  • 1796-1887

The Committee of Ordinary Managers was responsible for the ordinary administration of the affairs of the institution subject to the control of the trustees.

The committee held its first meeting on 26 March 1796. It met once a month.

Anderson's College, Glasgow | Library

  • C0093
  • Corporate body
  • 1796 to date

John Anderson bequeathed the whole of his library to the institution he founded under his name and directed that none of the books should be taken out of the buildings of the institution. The library was administered by a president, secretary and treasurer and, in order to extend its usefulness, the trustees combined it with a subscription library and reading room. The books consisted of standard works and periodical publications in science and general literature. They were purchased by subscription or acquired by donation and circulated amongst the subscribers. The subscribers were divided into two classes: science and general literature. Each class appointed a committee of five of their number to select the books. In addition, the professors of natural philosophy, chemistry and natural history and the president, secretary and treasurer were ex officiis members of the committees.

Anderson's College, Glasgow | Medical Faculty

  • C0091
  • Corporate body
  • 1799-1887

The Medical Faculty was established in 1799. Famous alumni of the Faculty include David Livingstone, who was a student from 1836 to 1839.

In 1887, following the establishment of the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College, the Medical Faculty separated from the College and became a separate institution, called Anderson's College Medical School.

Anderson's College, Glasgow | Secretary

  • C0095
  • Corporate body
  • 1796-1887

The Secretary was responsible for keeping the minutes of the meetings of the Trustees and the Managers and carrying out the administration of the institution in accordance with the instructions of the Managers. The Secretary was elected annually by the Managers.

Results 1 to 15 of 489