University of Strathclyde | Department of Physics

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

University of Strathclyde | Department of Physics

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College | Department of Natural Philosophy (c 1899-1912)
  • Royal Technical College, Glasgow | Department of Natural Philosophy (1912-1956)
  • Royal College of Science and Technology, Glasgow | Department of Natural Philosophy (1956-1964)
  • University of Strathclyde | Department of Natural Philosophy (1964-1983)
  • University of Strathclyde | Department of Physics and Applied Physics (1986-2002)

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

c 1899 to date

History

The Department of Physics originated in 1796 with the appointment at Anderson’s Institution (an antecedent of the University of Strathclyde) of the first Professor of Natural Philosophy. It was not until later, however, that a department formally came into existence. From at least 1899, there are references to the Department of Natural Philosophy. In 1968 the department split into the Department of Natural Philosophy (in 1983 renamed the Department of Physics) and the Department of Applied Physics. The two were reunited as the Department of Physics and Applied Physics in 1986. In 2002 the department was renamed the Department of Physics.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

University of Strathclyde (1964 to date)

Identifier of the related entity

C0047

Category of the relationship

hierarchical

Dates of the relationship

1964 to date

Description of relationship

Related entity

Royal College of Science and Technology, Glasgow (1887-1964)

Identifier of the related entity

C0065

Category of the relationship

hierarchical

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

The Department of Physics originated as the Department of Natural Philosophy at the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College (which later became the Royal College of Science and Technology).

Related entity

University of Strathclyde | Department of Applied Physics (1968 - 1986)

Identifier of the related entity

C0321

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

1986

Description of relationship

In 1986 the Department of Applied Physics merged with the Department of Physics.

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

C0004

Institution identifier

GB 249

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAAR(CPF): International Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons and Families, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2003); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created by Victoria Peters, December 2009.

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC