University of Strathclyde | Department of Mineral Resources Engineering

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

University of Strathclyde | Department of Mineral Resources Engineering

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • University of Strathclyde | Department of Mining and Petroleum Engineering (1980-1988)
  • University of Strathclyde | Department of Mining Engineering (1964-1980)
  • Royal College of Science and Technology, Glasgow | Department of Mining Engineering (1956-1964)
  • Royal Technical College, Glasgow | Department of Mining Engineering (1912-1956)
  • Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College | Department of Mining Engineering (1909-1912)

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1909 - 1992

History

The Department of Mineral Resources Engineering had its origins in 1859 with the establishment of the Glasgow School of Mines in Anderson's College (antecedent to Strathclyde University). The School was an independent institution governed by a separate committee; however, it was short lived and closed in 1864.

By the 1880s, classes in mining had resumed and day classes, leading to a Diploma in Mining, began in 1887 at the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College (antecedent to Strathclyde University). This was followed in 1909, with the creation of a Chair in Mining Engineering and the appointment of the first Professor of Mining.

In 1932, the Royal Technical College, Glasgow (successor to the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College) and the University of Glasgow reached an agreement to amalgamate their two departments of mining and form a Joint Chair, with teaching and research centered at the College. This arrangement continued until 1967, when the agreement between the two insitutions was terminated by mutual consent.

Thereafter, the Department of Mining Engineering was renamed the Department of Mining and Petroleum Engineering in 1980, and was again renamed the Department of Mineral Resources Engineering in 1988. A world recession in the demand for energy and raw materials saw admissions decline and the Department was ultimately closed in 1992.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

University of Strathclyde (1964 to date)

Identifier of the related entity

C0047

Category of the relationship

hierarchical

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

C0322

Institution identifier

GB 249

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAAR(CPF): International Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons and Families, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2003); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created by Kimberly Sommerville, October 2011.

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

The Royal College of Science and Technology, Glasgow: Mechanical, Civil, Chemical and Mining Engineering Block (Wilson Guthrie & Co. Ltd, Glasgow).

Focus on Mining Engineering: A residential course arranged by the University of Strathclyde and the National Coal Board, 19 June - 24 June 1977 (N.C.B. Scottish Area).

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC