Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Anderson's College, Glasgow | Library
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
1796 to date
John Anderson bequeathed the whole of his library to the institution he founded under his name and directed that none of the books should be taken out of the buildings of the institution. The library was administered by a president, secretary and treasurer and, in order to extend its usefulness, the trustees combined it with a subscription library and reading room. The books consisted of standard works and periodical publications in science and general literature. They were purchased by subscription or acquired by donation and circulated amongst the subscribers. The subscribers were divided into two classes: science and general literature. Each class appointed a committee of five of their number to select the books. In addition, the professors of natural philosophy, chemistry and natural history and the president, secretary and treasurer were ex officiis members of the committees.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Anderson's College, Glasgow (1796-1887)
Identifier of the related entity
Category of the relationship
Dates of the relationship
Description of relationship
Access points area
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
ISAAR(CPF): International Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons and Families, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2003); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created by Victoria Peters, March 2010.