Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Anderson College of Medicine, Glasgow
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
- Anderson's College Medical School, Glasgow (1887-1913)
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Anderson College of Medicine had its origins in 1799 as the Medical Faculty of Anderson's Institution, Glasgow. Following the restructuring of technical education in Glasgow in 1887, the Medical School became a separate institution, called Anderson's College Medical School. In 1889, the School relocated to a new building near the Western Infirmary, designed by the architects, Honeyman and Keppie. In 1913, the School changed its name to the Anderson College of Medicine. Following the establishment of the National Health Service in 1947, the School amalgamated with the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Glasgow.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Anderson's College, Glasgow | Medical Faculty (1799-1887)
Identifier of the related entity
Category of the relationship
Dates of the relationship
Description of relationship
In 1887, the Medical Faculty became Anderson's College Medical School (later renamed the Anderson College of Medicine).
Access points area
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
ISAAR(CPF): International Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons and Families, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2003); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created by Victoria Peters, February 2010.